The thermometer near my iced coffee spot reads 96 degrees. I don't quite believe it's that hot, but pretty darned close. We haven't put the ACs in the windows yet because I hate the look of them and far prefer fresh air and I know this hot spell is just a tease. And it's bearable at home (reminder, I work from home) in the basement, so it's all good. And I'm just enjoying the toasty weather since it's going hasta la vista manana.
I had my 25-week OB appt this morning and did my gestational disabetes test. The orange drink wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared, especially since I wasn't allowed to drink before the 11am test so I was just happy to chug any sort of liquid. I later realized that I would have been able to drink water, d'oh - I should read these things more closely! Anyway, I get the results tomorrow, obviously big fingers crossed that I pass because I'd really like to relax and keep stuffing my face, especially on my Key West vacation in June.
Everything else at the appointment looked good. I gained 4lbs since the last appt making for a grand total of 19lbs in the pregnancy. Hopefully I'll be on target to stay under the 30lb overall gain. I still marvel that Jenny McCarthy gained 75lbs in her pregnancy. I mean, I'm trying to eat fairly healthily, but I'm also eating whenever and wherever I want. She must've really gone the extra mile to maximize every bite calorie-wise. Anyway, the belly size is right on target too, according to the OB's high-tech tape measure. Which is good because sometimes I feel enormous for 25 weeks, so it's nice to hear that I'm right in the ballpark.
Here's some belly shots - I don't look as big as I sometimes do as they were taken @ noon and I usually expand as the day goes on:


At my OB appt, I asked about cord blood banking and my hospital does allow donations to the public bank, so I've signed up for that. The bizarro thing is that they don't take donations between 5pm and 8am, so if Bug decides to come during those hours, the cord blood gets discarded which seems like such a shame. Apparently the company that coordinates is stringent about their policies having the right staff present for donation (excellent) but only staff a normal working day, so they lose 2/3 of donations. Seems an odd choice, but what can you do?
As for my 4D ultrasound on Monday, it was neat to see the little guy in a less flat dimension but, and I feel a little guilty saying this, I wasn't blown away by the whole experience. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to see the bugger moving around and get more of a feel for what he looks like. But the operation was very casual, very non-medical. I kept getting the feeling like maybe I shouldn't be doing a test in a non-medical facility. I think it was fine and safe and the people were very nice - and I would recommend it to ladies considering it if you got a good deal. It'll be really neat to show Bug what he looked like in there -- we have about 2 dozen photos and a 10-minute DVD. But just be warned that it seems like you're in some grandma's back room with Peebo Bryson playing on a boom box in the corner. Anyhoo, here are some photos from the session. The first profile shot gives the best idea of what Bug's face looks like. The second is just a cute, albeit claymation-style close-up and the third just cracks me up with his funny little face.



So that's the story, morning glories...
One of these days I need to discuss that NoodleGuy and I have no idea what we're naming this Bug. There are a few names in the running, but nothing that has really seized our hearts. And it's getting closer and closer. I am 100% open to cool boys names -- we don't want anything too out there, but also nothing too boring, but also nothing that everyone under the sun is named. Yea, you see our problem, I think. Do you think he'd get teased if we just wimped out and went with "Bug" officially?
The bump looks great! I love Bug's pics too. And I don't think he'd get teased too bad if you called him Bug! =P I'm keeping my fingers crossed too that you pass your glucose test with flying colors so you can live it up (as much as possible while preggo)in the Keys!
ReplyDeleteYIPPY, pictures =) Your bump is so cute and right on target for where it should be. Bug is adorable. He's going to want a name though girly...our leading name for a boy is Cole but it's pretty popular. I gave up since many of the names I like seem to be popular. GL on the GD results!!!
ReplyDeleteYOU.LOOK.GREAT! I just love your little bump and I think the 3D u/s photos are pretty cool. I've been on the fence about doing one ... your pics might just sway me.
ReplyDeleteGL with the names. I think that is the freakin'hardest part of the pregnancy process. I always had the boy name but, for the life of me, I can't come up with a decent middle name for the girl. So I feel 'ya. And I have no good suggestions to throw your way. Who knows, he might just like being called Bug :)
As far as the GD is concerned - I will wish you passing with flying colors. I actually liked the orange soda so does that make me weird :)
Your bump is so adorable! =) I'm glad everything continues to look great! Don't worry about the weight gain... i ended up gaining about 55 and I tried to eat healthy! I didn't realize Jenny McCarthey gained 75 though... WOW...
ReplyDeleteThat's so great you decided to donate the cord blood! If you give birth in a time when they can't collect the blood you should think about doing delayed cord clamping. Instead of the blood getting wasted it goes to your little bug instead. =)
Good luck with names. That was the hard part for us too!
Gorgeous bump Mama!! Gorgeous Bug photos too!! I agree with Iris. We were planning to public bank too, but delayed clamping won us over. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37342877/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/
ReplyDeleteGood luck with a name!!
Aw, you look adorable!!! And so does Bug! Glad things are going so well and I hope you pass the GD test:) the name thing is hard - we have a whole boys name but no girls name!
ReplyDeleteBug is adorable!! Boys names are definitely tough - but I bet his nickname will always be bug :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on 25wks!
ReplyDeleteIf you're worried about wasting the cord blood, my sister just had them wait until all the blood was absorbed by the baby after birth - when the cord stops pulsing - before cutting it. That way your baby gets the benefit of the cord blood and an extra bonus of the belly button healing quicker - the cord dropped off in the 48 hrs after birth I believe, which is very fast.
Bug is adorable! Those are some great 3D photos. Your belly also looks great. Is that one of the beloved ON skirts?
ReplyDeleteWe are also going with the delayed clamping on the cord. But it does seem weird that they aren't a little more flexible with the staffing for donating cord blood.
Good luck with the name selection. We ended up picking a name that is relatively popular without being at the top of the list. I am not too worried about it -- TFO and I have both done just fine with very popular names -- but it was also interesting to look at the counts for popular names now v. when I was a kid. Ex: TFO's name was #3 in our state in his birth year and there were 1200 babies given that name that year. Logan was #3 in our state for names in 2008, but only 400 babies were given that name. So yeah his name is popular, but it's a whole different level of saturation. There are just so many more names being used now. Anyway, I thought it was interesting. The contrast in counts for top names is even bigger for girl names.
We didn't name our son until 2:30pm (he was born at 8am), boys names are hard! Bug is a cutie.
ReplyDelete