Saturday, January 02, 2010

Beta #2 and pretty bird

DH and I drove through the snow this morning to get our beta #2. I've been going a little nuts the past few days, convinced I was no longer pg since I don't have any symptoms except: sore boobs (thanks to progesterone supps), bionic smell and ravenous hunger, from which I suspect I may always have suffered. This is, of course, the same dance that all long-time IFers will do in those early days before they've seen the bean on ultrasound and/or having gotten through the testings. For me, I'll maybe feel secure in this pregnancy in its 39th week. MAYBE.

Anyhoo, line item #2 has been checked off in my handy-dandy pending-cartwheel checklist!

1. Beta #1 (12/29): 242 - check!
2. Beta #2 (1/2): 1,206 - check!
3. Beta #3 (1/7)
4. Ultrasound #1 - 6 weeks (1/13)
5. Ultrasound #2 - 8 weeks (@ 1/27)
6. Released to OB (@ 1/27)
7. First appt with OBGYN (@ 2/8)
8. CVS test (@ 2/15)

Beta #2 rose to 1,206, for a doubling time of 41.4 hours. Yippee! Of course, Peanut had rock star betas (and 6 & 8 week ultrasounds), so still in cautious mode. But a good second step!

I also convinced the drunken weekend nurse to let me schedule a 3rd beta for Thursday, just to give me peace of mind in the 11 day wait until the first ultrasound. I have a feeling my usual nurse would have tried to talk me out of it, saying it wasn't needed, betas start rising more slowly as they get higher, so it may lead to needless worry, etc. But I know all this and I just need to break up the time knowing/hoping that the betas are still rising. So I got lucky that this 2nd beta happened to fall on a weekend, double yay!

Finally, as I was hopping into the shower this morning, I looked out our bathroom window, which overlooks the backyard. It's been snowing pretty much non-stop in New England for the past 24 hours and for several days over the past week. Our backyard is blanketed in white, but standing out, clear as day, this morning was a beautiful, bright orange bird. I don't think it was a cardinal, it was definitely more orange than red. But it was such a pretty picture than I ran nekkid to our office to grab the camera and snapped a shot of him. It's not the greatest picture since it's through the windowpane, but you can see him in the upper right quadrant of the photo. I felt like it was a lucky omen: not only is orange my favorite color, but it seemed like such a vibrant splash of life (this new bean(s)) in an otherwise quiet, blank canvas (my ovaries).



Happy New Year's, my friends!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on checking off line item #2!! Hoping the good strong betas continue to come & the next few weeks pass quickly for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Great beta! I'm glad you conned the drunken nurse into scheduling a third beta - it'll will definitely break up the wait until the u/s.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I am late to this party, but congratulations!!! Thank goodness for drunken weekened nurses who are highly susceptible to suggestions..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on another fabulous beta!! I am glad that you are able to get a third to help the time go by before your u/s. I can not wait to hear about how many you have in there! And thank you for sharing the picture = ) I am so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Item number 2 - CHECK! Fantastic beta! And I had to look closely at my computer screen, but I could see the bird! Gorgeous. And I'm sure it's a good omen of things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a great beta #2- and good for you for getting beta #3 scheduled. Sometimes it is just that important to have the next appointment scheduled to help move the days along as you wait for the u/s. How great that you saw the bird! I was really worried a couple of times (okay, for nearly all of the last 18 or so weeks) and at perfect moments saw beautiful rainbows. I hope the bird hangs around and brings you lots of good luck & great news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You can sure spot that orange bird in the sea of white :) I hope that is a great sign of hope for your pregnancy!

    What a wonderful 2nd beta ... and I'm SO glad you're getting a third :)

    As far as the panic is concerned. I am NO help. Every morning I wake up in a panic convinced my baby is gone ... I don't think anyone who has suffered IF and reoccurring loss will feel "safe" until the baby is alive and in her arms :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm behind and just hearing your FANTASTIC NEWS!!! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! I completely completely understand the panic, and I got four betas before the u/s because I simply couldn't relax. I'm almost 10 weeks and I'm still super nervous. Did you ever hear a HB on your first peanut? Just curious. It makes me so nervous to hear about later m/c. Anyway, congrats again! I LOVE moving people from my TTC blog roll to my expecting blog roll :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't see it but yea for the good beta :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome news, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME Beta #2!! woooo hooooooo! Can't wait to hear all about the stellar ultrasound too. And I am so jealpus of the snow. I miss MA *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome news! Sorry my congratulations are a little belated. Clever you for getting a third ultrasound scheduled!

    ReplyDelete