Having had a completely unexpected miscarriage last week, I had a very sad weekend. Two things that made be feel better were reading and cooking. So when I got the new issue, I looked forward to turning off my obsessing infertile brain and paging through. Much to my surprise, on the very first page of content in the magazine (page 3) was a recipe featuring dead babies called "Buried Alive Muffins". It was so stunning and horrifying that NoodleGuy and I had to kind of laugh through our horror.
I have cropped the photo below to not show it unless someone chooses to click into the bigger version of the photo:
Now, I know it's the Halloween issue and ghosts and ghoulies are the order of the day. But what freaking idiot of a Creative Director over there thought that it was in appropriate taste to have a recipe, especially the most prominently featured large photo, with baby's arms reaching up from the dirt? Are they not aware that most of their readers are women of child-bearing age? That many will have had losses or battled infertility? That neither pro-life not pro-choicers would find this appealing, neither enjoys the site of dismembered baby parts (despite what the other side thinks)?
Am I over-reacting because of my personal situation?
That's just morbid. And I like the lady...this is disturbing to look at. At least use food coloring and make them green and call them Zombies or something...this is bad.
ReplyDeleteShe's an idiot. Sorry, I'm not a big fan of hers, she tends to talk before thinking way too much. It's just gross, and not in a it's-cute-because-it's-halloween way. Poor taste gross.
ReplyDeletea zombie would have been more appropriate AND less inflamatory. Yeesh. I'm so sorry that greeted you from inside the magagizine.
ReplyDeleteHere from LFCA...
ReplyDeleteI'm so, so sorry to hear of your loss.
And I haven't had a chance to look at this months RR magazine, BUT I'm pretty sure I'll be throwing it in the garbage when I get home.
Unacceptable.
I am disgusted and I could be biased since I have a few losses under my belt. But I just don't get it. I think that merits a letter to the editor!
ReplyDeleteThat is heinous. Pure and simple.
ReplyDelete