I thought maybe I'd be lucky enough to wake up this morning and have a few seconds of blissful non-remembering that Peanut has died. No such luck. I woke up an hour before the alarm in full awareness and just laid there quietly staring at the ceiling so that poor NoodleGuy would be able to sleep a little more. He has it bad because he not only is dealing himself with losing this baby, very possibly our last chance at a baby, but also consoling his basketcase of a wife. This is something he's quite good at, I have to say, and has gotten more experience than is fair over the past 3 years. Even if everything else in my life is turning to shit: dead baby, hating my job, living in a family-friendly suburb that makes me want to blow my brains out, living 5 hours away from any family or friends, there's always good ol' NoodleGuy. He's a peach, thank God.
I guess "why" is always the operative question here. Why me? Why can't I have one single baby when everyone in my family has never had a problem? Why me, the responsible daughter out of three of us, the one that has always followed the rules, the one that gets along with everyone, the peacemaker who always tries to smooth everything over? Is that a good thing, shouldn't the fates be happy with me? What have I done to make the universe so upset with me? When I add to the fact that I have this breast cancer scare going on and am going for yet another surgery on 10/5, my head short circuits. WTF have I done to deserve all this? I understand empirically that there are sadder things in life than infertility and recurrent losses and cancer scares: there are babies starving all over the world and people killing each other over money and on and on. But as far as personal crappiness goes, this takes the cake for me.
I told NoodleGuy last night that this is the saddest I've ever been in my life. Which I thought was a given, a no-brainer. I mean, when could I have possibly been sadder than when being told that my miracle, last-chance baby who looked perfect in all previous blood tests and ultrasounds was inexplicably dead? But he just looked devastated when I said that, it was so sad. It's like he finally got how bad this is, and I hated to do that to him. I'm just lovely to be around right now.
To rub salt in the wound, I have to go in for the D&E surgery tomorrow. When something this cruel happens, it seems like somehow the universe should be kind enough to just let the baby fade away. But unfortunately, a horrible, clinical ordeal has to be tackled also. I've had D&Es before, so it's not like I don't know the drill and physically I know it's not a bad surgery. But I don't feel like seeing or talking to anyone but NoodleGuy for the next 100 years, so I certainly don't feel like pretending I'm anything but destroyed to a bunch of hospital workers I'll never see again. I know no one expects me to be friendly and perky, but all I feel like doing is crawling under the covers and, at most, grunting responses. Maybe I can actually get away with that tomorrow.
Don't feel like you have to act any way other than how you feel tomorrow. If they don't like it they can go to hell.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you have NoodleGuy. It's amazing how strong our husbands can be...
I agreee with the pp...cry all you want, be rude all you want or just ignore all of them...this is the worst thing to go through and if they can't give you a little slack, then that is THEIR problem. Not yours. And lean on NoodleGuy as much as you need to, it sounds like he can take it. Again, I'm so sorry. And yes, the fates should be kinder to people like us and I will never understand why things turn out the way they do.
ReplyDeleteI'm so so very sorry for your loss. It is horribly unfair, and I'm so sorry you must endure this.
ReplyDelete((HUGS))
I am so sorry for your loss, and that you have to experience this deep sadness.
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry for your loss and the ordeal tomorrow. Sending you prayers.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. I wish it was different for you and your Peanut was still alive.
ReplyDeleteFrom the LFCA
Here from LFCA and so sorry about your loss and your entirely understandable sadness. Also, what Callmemama said.
ReplyDeleteOh no ... I am so sorry to hear this. I cannot even begin to imagine what you're going through but I am praying for you and thinking of you.
ReplyDelete(from LFCA)
I am so so sorry you're going through this. It completely, absolutely sucks.
ReplyDeleteMo
Here from LFCA.
ReplyDeleteI'm so so sorry for your loss. This is horrible horrible horrible. I have been in your shoes twice this year- and yes its the worst feeling in the entire world. I think of you today as you work through your grief and anger. *hugs*
I'm glad you have your husband to lean on right now and if you want to grunt at people for a while, I'd say you're entitled. I don't know the whys of things. Maybe it's better we don't know. But I know the devastation of looking at an u/s, seeing a baby and then hearing that there is no heartbeat. How the center of your chest and all the air in your lungs are suddenly ripped out. I'm so sorry you are going through this. And perhaps you and I are twins separated at birth...I am the middle girl of 3, and I too was the "good" daughter, the super achiever, the obiedient one, the one whos still tries to get everyone to make peace. I'll be thinking of you and praying your procedure goes quickly and smoothly and you are home resting soon.
ReplyDeleteOh honey...I am so so so sorry. I had been stalking your other blog and had no idea. Cry and scream all you want sweetie. HUGE HUGS and much love to you and NoodleBoy.
ReplyDeleteL -
ReplyDeleteI'm so incredibly sorry. I feel like it's all I can say right now and it's so trite.
This post just moved me to tears ... when you told noodleguy that it was the saddest you'd ever been my hear just breaks in a million pieces for you both.
I wish I could do something, anything to take this pain away from you. You don't deserve to deal with this. You don't. It's not fair.
Sending you love.