Before the details, I just have to say that you guys are really the best. It meant so much to me to get your support and prayers for Baby A. I think I may have gone crazy without those virtual hugs throughout the day yesterday. Every time I started getting really worried and antsy and pointless googling "heavy bleeding during pregnancy" only to find horror stories, I'd get a ping in my in-box and there would be some kind words and a reminder to try to stay calm until we could see what was happening today.
And, by the way, NoodleGuy came home shortly after I posted and felt awful that he wasn't here when I got home. But it's not as if I can keep him glued to my side for the entire 9 months, and I'm so proud of him for training to run the Boston Marathon, so it was just dumb bad luck that this happened during his one weekly super-long run.
So, back to business, Baby A looked great. I cannot tell you how relieved NoodleGuy and I are, those 1-2 minutes between when I explained to the u/s tech what had happened and when she first inserted the wand were torture. Having experienced two losses in the past, ones that were diagnosed by the lack of h/b on an ultrasound, I feel like I'm a master at reading tech's faces for bad news, so I didn't even want to look at her, I just stared at the ceiling. But she was awesome and immediately told us that she saw Baby A and that the h/b looked very strong. That was the thing NG and I were focusing upon the hardest, and we didn't even realize how hard we were gripping each other's hands until she said that and we relaxed a little.
Here's the strange stuff: Baby B's sac and contents were still there. Sadly, but not surprisingly, his little heartbeat had stopped but we were prepared for that since he's always looked too weak, we never dared to ever really hope for him. But...the sac was totally intact. So, the bleeding and passed tissue wasn't caused by that. Additionally, there was no evidence of a subchorionic hematoma nor placenta previa. So, this was just an unknown, very scary episode. Lovely, more "unexplained" fertility issues.
We met with the physician's assistant this morning as my RE wasn't getting in until later, and they wanted to see me asap. But I do have a regularly scheduled appointment with beloved Dr. B on Friday, so I'll grill him for more ideas on the bleeding then. Here are my theories:
- Theory #1: it was a subchorionic hematoma but it was so violent and complete that it left no evidence (don't know if this is possible).
- Theory #2: maybe a 3rd embie actually implanted, I had transferred 4. Possibly it was so tiny and disguised by the other 2 sacs, that they never saw it, and that's what I lost? I don't know if this one is possible either, the ultrasounds seem pretty complete, hard to miss something like that.
- Theory #3: maybe Baby B's sac has ruptured slightly and started emptying? Though the amount of blood that came out, it would be totally deflated by now, so this is not really a good theory.
Anyway, I had at least 2-3 more gushes as I left the store and on the way home, so I would have soaked through 4-5 pads in 15 minutes. So, ALOT of blood. Then the lovely passing of the tissue once I got home. And after that? Nothing. No cramping, barely any spotting even. It was just a sudden, violent, short episode.
So, the plan is for me to take it easy this week and call immediately if any bleeding, beyond spotting, occurs again. I'll skip the gym for a while and just relax as much as possible. Even though Baby A looked great, it'll take a few more ultrasounds for me to really relax, I think. But getting to see u/s pictures where he/she shows good progression from the last one is probably the best way to relax. You'll see Baby B's sac next to Baby A :( -- even though it's cut off, you can't see any contents in that sac, so clearly the contents are pretty small, enough to only be offscreen.

We immediately thought the baby's "profile" (though those aren't truly eyes, nose, etc that you can see) looked like the statues at Easter Island:

So, to recap: clearly sad that Baby B is officially gone. But we knew that would happen, from the time we found out there were two sacs, we were warned that Baby B was far behind and last week's bradycardia pretty much clinched it. And if we had to lose him/her, it's almost a relief for it to be this early so that now we can focus exclusively on happy vibes to Baby A. Plus, losing a twin becomes more dangerous as the pregnancy progresses, so it's better now than later. Therefore, very happy and relieved today since we were fearing we had lost both babies yesterday.
Again, thank you so much for your support during this very scary 24 hours, I love my online buddies!
here from LFCA and so happy to see your good news for baby A! keeping you in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteOh Lara so, so, so happy for you, Noodleguy and Baby A, while at the same time sad for little Baby B. Take it easy girl and hoping maybe your doc will have a guess on Friday that seems plausible to you. Just so glad Baby A is doing well!! I did a little happy dance in my chair at work. People were starring but I don't care!! :)
ReplyDeleteYay! Great news that Baby A is fine. I totally get that you will be anxious until you're further along w/ a few more solid u/s, so crossing my fingers for you!!
ReplyDeleteDear Lara, I'm so glad and relieved to hear that baby A is doing fine. Wow - that was so scary! Waving a sad goodbye to baby B. I think you are wise to take it easy and I hope your doc can reassure you when you go in again. Take care and keep taking deep breaths:) ((((big hugs ))))
ReplyDeleteSending lots of warm wishes of good health to you and Baby A, also sending heartfelt sympathy for little angel Baby B. I know how scary it was for you, how alone you felt until NoodleGuy came home. Hoping all the best for you and that you never, ever have to go through anything scary like that again.
ReplyDeleteWWWWWHHHHHHEEEEEWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm am so glad to hear that baby a is chugging right along. If it hadn't been for the tissue, I'd wonder if you had some sort of cervical bleed.
(((HUGS))))
I love the profile picture! :)
ReplyDeleteOh Lara! I'm SO RELIEVED. I wanted to write to you yesterday (and tried) but I can't comment from my home computer. I was thinking of you all night and I'm so glad that everything is okay. Keep us posted! I'm sending good vibes to Baby A.
ReplyDeleteIm so happy and relieved for you! I can imagine how relieved YOU must feel. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is UNeventful!
ReplyDeletePS-Loved the scary clown comment!(-:
Phew! I am so relieved for you!
ReplyDeleteTake care.
So very very glad babyA is doing great, and I cannot imagine how scared you must have been going in this morning.
ReplyDeleteMysterious heavy bleeding = no fun at all. So very sorry for your loss of baby B, and so very happy you are "OK"-- and that everything else looks good.
thank you for the update!
and
I hope that was the last of your trauma and drama until you can feel the little one move (you are allowed that drama) and a safe delivery (that one too).
XOX
Kate
Oh such amazing and wonderful news! Yay Baby A and yay Mama!!!! I am also baffled about the genesis of the bleeding but with a healthy u/s, I am sure that answer is far less important now. And the dr appt Friday should help you get a solid theory. All so wonderful (and I seem to be emotionally gushing).
ReplyDeleteBtw, the Easter Island statue made me laugh out loud.
SO very happy that baby A is healthy and fine! I am very sorry for the loss of baby B, but happy you are able to see some positive and focus all your attention on baby A. Praying for a safe and healthy remaing pregnancy!
ReplyDeleteJennifer
I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier to give you some extra prayers and love, but I'm glad to know you had lots of support - that's what makes this community so great!
ReplyDeleteBaby Easter Island is adorable! Seeing that picture made me smile. Congratulations.
I'll be keeping you in lots of prayers today and I'm still so sorry about baby B.
oh good, I was thinking of you for the last two days,
ReplyDeleteI did a yoga class today and thought of baby A the whole time!
Could hear my sigh of relief all the way up where you are? I'm so glad that Baby A is doing great. But it's so unfair that you had to go through such a scary time. But as usual, you handled it great. Three cheers for NoodleGirl and Baby A! Can we please get a little "calm" around here? You know, we'll still read if you post boring pregnant lady stuff. :-)
ReplyDeleteOh my, what terror!! I can't imagine the way I would have felt if that grocery store incident had happened to me. I freaked when the doppler failed to locate the HB. Agh!!! I'm so sorry for all the awful fear and everything else you'd had recently.
ReplyDeleteSad to hear about Baby B, but like you said it is better now than later. I'm impressed with your strength through this. I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm also thrilled for Baby A's good report.
I am so relieved. And so glad you have such wonderful news after what must have been a terrifying time. I was thinking about you all day and am so glad to get this news.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry about the loss of baby B. But am praying that baby A will thrive and grow.
Best wishes!
Oh!!! I'm just so happy to hear that Baby A is okay! I was so worried for you!
ReplyDeleteMy sister had a bleeding episode similar to that and also had nothing show up on an u/s, and that was pretty early on as well and she hasn't had anything happen since then. I'll be hoping the rest of these 9 months are just as uneventful!
So glad everything turned out ok for Baby A. I'm sorry about baby b.
ReplyDeleteJust wanting you to know that I'm thinking about you. Relieved to hear the news that Baby A is okay.
ReplyDeleteSorry for the loss of your little twin, but I am so relieved that both you and Baby A (as in eAster islAnd bAby) are both well. I cannot imagine what could have caused such gushes of blood, but let's hope that's the end of that. Yes, rest, rest, rest. Whatever it was, your body needs to heal. Hugs and Happy Baby A vibes!
ReplyDeleteLara, I'm so so so glad that things turned out the way they did. You are such a trooper to make it through that (among other things). Baby A is lucky to have a Mama who loves him/her so much already.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that Baby A is doing well.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear that you lost Baby B.
Here from LFCA..
How frightening. I'm so glad Baby A looks great, although I'm sorry about little Baby B. Hang in there, and I hope that was the last of the bleeding until after you hold a baby in your arms!
ReplyDeleteFrom LFCA...
I am glad that Baby A is still going strong. I'm sorry about Baby B. Despite my delayed posting, I have been thinking about you guys!
ReplyDeleteI just popped in from LFCA because your story sounded so familiar. The exact same scenario played out for me with my first IVF--bradycardia and eventual loss of one twin, strong second twin, LOTS of bleeding (not spotting, hemorrhaging!). Long story short, Baby A went on to be a full-term healthy baby, and is now 7 years old. I am so sorry about your little Baby B, and hope that your pregnancy will be less eventful from here on out. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that everything is okay. I had the gush of blood too, and it was so scary. Mine is a subchorionic hematoma though, and they were able to clearly see it.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you are feeling better. I agree...the feeling of blood pouring out is so scary.
what a scary experience! i'm so sorry you had to go through this. i'm so so glad baby A is okay and i'm very sorry for your loss of baby b. i hope the scary parts are over so you can focus on the joys of what's to come. hugs!
ReplyDelete