I've been swamped with work and visitors and this is the first chance I've had to post in 5 days! Remember last Wednesday when I said that things with the Win.dows 7 launch had calmed down somewhat, one day before it went live on the web? Well, apparently, I jinxed my entire company. All of our servers went down, completely dead no work possible, at 4pm and didn't come back up until 10pm. Everyone in our hosting company and major players at Or.acle, the database gurus, were frantically working on it and still it took 6 hours to fix. So a busy, but not crazy day that should have ended around 7pm instead became a frantic day that didn't end until 2am. We hadn't had a major crash like that in years and, of course, go figure, it happens on the day before a major launch. We smell espionage from one of our competitors!
During that 6 hour break when the servers were down, NoodleGuy booked our trip to San Francisco, yay!! We're flying out on Saturday morning and back on Tuesday afternoon -- we're flying on Vir.gin America and I am so excited! NG keeps teasing me that I'm more excited about the flight than the trip itself. The flights were only $100 each way from Boston to SF, we're sure they're trying to get us hooked on the airline before they jack up the fares. People liken it to flying instead of a bright, shiny iPod. All seats have private televisions, with TV and On Demand movies at your fingertips. There is free wifi ON THE FLIGHT! There are outlets at each seat, to deal with the inevitable lame laptop batteries. There is seat to seat instant messaging, so I could, potentially, hit on that cute guy in seat 12D (just kidding, NG!). There is on demand waitress service, where you tell them when you want a drink instead of them blocking the aisles for half an hour with that cart. Though, of course, NG have discussed that we'll feel too guilty to make the flight attendants wait on us, so we'll arrive in SF all parched ;).
The impetus for this trip was getting the Hell out of Dodge for Halloween. One of the ironic side effects of IF is not being able to tolerate being around adorable children, at least for me. It's so much more magnified since the miscarriage and I was going to spend the day away from home if it killed me. I'm so happy that we're actually making a fun trip out of it. If anyone has any SF tips (Thanks Heather!), I'm all over them. In addition to being away on Halloween, it's my birthday next week. I'm not at all thrilled about this birthday (39) but I'm trying really hard not to focus on age, as my guru RE advises me against.
Finally, my FF chart is confusing me. I had a fairly normal cycle after the m/c -- about a week longer than normal, but I O'ed and had typical biphasic temps. However, this cycle my temps are so so low and it's CD18 and I still haven't O'ed which is the latest that I've ever tracked. I usually have a coverline at @ 97.9 and my temps fluctuate between 97.2 and 98.4 or so throughout the cycle. I must have estrogen in overdrive with my temps being so low, I don't know if that's good or bad at this point. Thoughts?
I know I still have hormones adjusting (I have my beta-please-finally-be-negative check on Wednesday) but I'm praying I O in the next day or so and then have a shortish LP. If I don't then my IVF cycle in December will run into Christmas. I came up with this calendar math at 3:30am last night and then laid there for an hour stressing about it. Blah, timing, how I hate thee.
working until 2am? Wow. That is a long day. I hope you have a great time away. That airline sounds very posh. I hope you enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteThose temps are looking quite confusing. You can still ovulate at any time - I know stress pushes my O day back usually, maybe all the work late nights are affecting you?
ReplyDeleteI hope everything works out timing-wise for your December IVF - I know it's frustrating to just sit and wait for your body to cooperate :(.
Virgin Airlines sounds fun! I may actually enjoy flying on that airline - I'm not really a fan of air travel anymore, but used to enjoy our overseas flights b/c of all the perks. The attendants on Korean Air used to just carry trays of 3 different kinds of juices around non-stop, and they served popcorn and ice cream during the movies! The food was better too...
I wish I could remember the name of the German beer hall we went to in San Fran - the food was amazing! I had some venison sausages that still make me drool. Oh, and I could have stayed in this one cheese shop for hours! Haha, it sounds like we did nothing but eat last time we were there :).
Oh San Fran, how I love thee!! Very excited for your trip Lara :) it'll likely be a fantastic getaway.
ReplyDeleteMy only tip for San Fran is very touristy since I've only visited once ... and that is of course to visit Ghirardelli Square and get a fantabulous sundae from the Ice Cream shop. Yum!
As far as Virgin Airlines is concerned, they sound fantastic!!! I recently took a flight on AirTran that had Wi-Fi and me and my little travel Netbook were in h.e.a.v.e.n. So I can imagine on your 6+hr flight you will be having a mighty good time.
Lastly, ick, that SUCKS about the work debacle. I must say that me likey the new Windows 7. My mom's laptop crashed over the weekend and we went with her to get a shiny new one and it *of course* had 7 on it. Much prefer it to Vista (ick!)
Regarding your chart, I honestly have no advice on that one. From the looks of things you probably haven't O'd yet. I will hope along with you that it's a short(er) cycle so that you can avoid the cycle mahem during the christmas holiday. That would most definitely suck.
I bet I could get BJ on a plane with all those perks. He'd be so busy ordering and watcing movies that he'd forget he was flying! Especially since he'd have the flight attendants bring him a cold one every half hour. :-) Enjoy your flight and your trip.
ReplyDeleteSorry about the crazy work schedule. The only thing I can compare that to is when we have a meeting and I'm making packets (usually 60) and I don't receive the materials for the packets until 30 minutes before the meeting. That is when the copy machine continuously jams. Talk about stress...it only jams when I'm in a hurry with a big job.
I had some crazy temps last cycle, too and I O'd way earlier than I ever have and it was my 3rd cycle since the IVF. I think it just takes time to get back on track. But maybe the excitement of your trip and the stress from work have delayed things a bit. Just a thought.
Hello! I'm so stoked you're coming to SF. If you want great burritos, you should hit up Papolotes on Valencia and 24th. There is also one by the panhandle (near Golden Gate park) at Fulton between Masonic and Central). I get burritos there every week after therapy and their salsa is AMAZING. I buy a jar and cook with it later in the week. Alos, the Slanted Door (in the Ferry Building downtown) is an amazing Vietnamese fusion restaurant. You probably need a reservation so you might want to look into that now. Hmm... what else. I will definitely keep thinking and send you what comes to mind. I hope you have a great time at the city by the bay!
ReplyDeleteWhen I went to SF a few years ago, we rented bikes and rode over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and then took a ferry back across the bay. I loved it - it was my favorite part of the trip.
ReplyDeleteHave fun. I hear you on needing to avoid cute kids (or kids of any variety) on halloween. M and I are probably escaping to a movie and dinner. I do need to plan a mini vacation soon!
Have fun in SF. If you get a chance, go to Golden Era Vegetarian - even if you're not a veggie, the food there is great. It's also pretty cheap & huge portions. I've taken several meat eaters there & /always/ been dragged back by them to eat there again the next day! (http://goldeneravegetarian.com/)
ReplyDeletehave a great trip!
ReplyDeleteOhh...San Fran on Halloween! Even better! DH and I spent a halloween there a decade or so ago. It was something to see. Lots of dressing up...but I don't remember any kids. LOL! And Virgin Atlantic does sound nice. I wish they flew out of Fort Lauderdale. I could have used those services yesterday.
ReplyDeleteNot sure about your chart. I always Oed early, like CD10-11, but FF usually had to adjust it several times each cycle. I hated charting.
I hope you have a fun trip and a happy birthday next week!
Sounds like your trip will be awesome!! I've always wanted to do San Fran touristy stuff, and you get to fly Virgin America!! Heck yea I'd be excited too. All those little perks and only $100 each way, super deal. Have a fabulous Halloween trip and have a wonderful birthday supper!! Hoping this beta is finally a negative for you. Thanks for stopping by and giving me great fert vibes and support, it's truly appreciated!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great trip - I'm sure SF is crazy on Halloween! I always love going (FIL lives outside the city) but I can't for the life of me remember anything in particular to recommend... Pretty sure that means you'll have fun no matter what!
ReplyDeleteWow, sorry work blew up on you last week.
ReplyDeleteSF for Halloween sounds like fun! My recommendation would be to make a point to get out and see the redwoods somewhere, Muir Woods at least. They were definitely the coolest thing I saw there.
I hope the temps are just screwy due to stress from work last week and they sort themselves out and you can avoid cycling right over Christmas.
Oh yikes, that is quite the server fail!
ReplyDeleteThree cheers for a long weekend in SF and I can't wait to hear about Virgin America- I am such a travel geek! I usually do business travel in the area, so I have very few 'fun' tips, but I do love the ice cream sundaes at Ghirradelli and I highly recommend a look through the Presidio and some time gazing at the ocean. Taking the ferry to Sausilito would be high on my list for my next trip to SF. Have a wonderful time!
great plans! my dp would be in heaven on that plane! I have to tell her - maybe we should try it next time we travel!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful time:)
I think a trip to SF is a great plan to avoid the kiddies this year. And that flight does sound amazing. If it won't scare you to much to see a bunch of crazy drssed up gays, you must go to the Castro district on Halloween. My partner and I were there for Pride and we had the best time: a huge party in the streets. Very diverting and picture worthy. As for more touristy stuff, go the the riverfront area and have clam chowder. YUM.
ReplyDeleteHoping your HCG drops soon so that you can feel more normal again.
I'm a little jealous of your trip. Not only does the flight sound amazing, but I LOVE SF and haven't been in years. And I do think sabotage might've had a bit to do with it at your job... ahem.
ReplyDeleteHi, ah, a trip away from home sounds fantastic, especially after a rough few days at work. Enjoy and have a great birthday! ICLW
ReplyDelete